Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Day 3: Focusing on Rule # 2: Don't Drink Your Calories

Bob focuses on making sure H20 is a priority for anyone following the "skinny rules." So much so that his plan calls for a LARGE glass of water within 15 minutes of waking up and drinking 16 ounces before (I drink it along with) each meal. The benefits of staying hydrated are constantly talked about in the world of health and fitness and play a huge role in maintaining a healthy weight.

With all this water intake however, there isn't much room for enjoying just about any other beverage! Not necessarily because the rules "forbid" drinking anything else, but mainly because you'll spend your whole day in the bathroom otherwise! I'm pretty good at staying hydrated already but while adjusting to a frequently changing schedule, coffee and I pretty much go hand in hand. Bob supports drinking coffee, as long as it isn't loaded up with added sugars! He recommends keeping your coffee habits very European: espresso (Or an Americano) or cappuccino (as long as its with skim or unsweetened almond milk). My pallet isn't quite ready for those strong flavors so I try to stick with unsweetened vanilla almond milk for a little flavor boost. Doesn't always work because I am a huge fan of the International Delight and Bailey's brands of coffee creamers! Moderation is key though!

Coffee was a MUST after this morning's early workout. Today focused on chest/ back and oblique strengthening in-between a quick run and some time on the stairclimber. I tried to focus on heavier weights with slower reps to really exhaust the muscles. I'm sure we'll know by tomorrow if it was a successful workout. I'm pretty sure I'll be feeling it then!

Like I mentioned yesterday, I love Bob's combination of greek yogurt, oats, and berries. I wasn't able to get a full 1/2 c of yogurt out of the container before it was gone so I added a handful of almonds for some extra protein and fiber. The strawberry overnight oats tasted great with a much needed mug of coffee!

Lunch was another adaptation of a recipe in the book, Bob's Tuna Niçoise Salad. The recipe (which I love!) calls for the white of one hardboiled egg, however since I used those up yesterday, I used a 5 ounce can of tuna instead of a 4 ounce can. I also added a little cutie for dessert again today and it hit the spot! Such a fancy feeling lunch without worrying if I killed any progress made this week so far.

Dinner is looking like the pesto roasted chicken with steamed green beans, depending on how long my volunteer meeting runs. I would love to share more info but its very esoteric and I'm really excited to be a part of something new to the city! (More details later ;) )

If anyone has questions about Bob's rules or recipes feel free to leave a comment and I'll give you as much feedback as possible!

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying the water before meals advice. Can one get tired of peeing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Lately its become very annoying. However, I've learned to use it as a meditative time!!

    ReplyDelete