Monday, January 6, 2014

Make It Monday- First Edition

Good morning everyone!  Hope you're all staying warm and safe this chilly morning.

As part of my New Year resolution, I'd like to start adding some regularly themed posts to this blog. Each Monday will focus a recipe or craft that I've found and attempted. The goal here is to start taking advantage of the many wonderful things I find and want to recreate. I'm also hoping to feature a weekly workout on Wednesday. I've been trying out so many different workouts and would like to share my thoughts on them for my own review and to help out anyone who's looking for a new routine. Lately I've heard a lot of people asking about how to stay motivated while working out. I tend to stay more interested in keeping up with my fitness routine by switching it up (however, with this weather, even that approach is losing its appeal)! I'm most excited about my plans for my Friday posts. I would like to start featuring a friend who has made fitness a new priority in their life every Friday. If you would like to nominate some one please feel free to leave a comment!

So for today I'd like to focus on a new smoothie recipe I tried yesterday.



I found this recipe for a Pear Berry Weight-Loss Smoothie on FitSugar a while ago and have been wanting to try it out. I varied the recipe just a tad though since I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand.

This is what I tossed into my blender:

  • 1 cup unsweetened vanilla Silk Soy Milk
  • 1 cup frozen raspberries
  • 1 med. pear, chopped
  • 1 cup baby spinach
  • 1/4 cup Chobani vanilla non-fat greek yogurt
  • 1/2 teaspoon  ground flaxseed

I was very surprised with how much this recipe made. I probably could have split it into two servings, but I was trying to follow the FitSugar recipe as closely as I could. I think my favorite part about this smoothie was the tangy taste of the raspberries. They helped reduce the sweetness of the milk, yogurt, and pear, which gave it a great flavor. I think if I would have had a kiwi on hand that would have been a great addition as well.

I definitely want to try this recipe again, but I may make a few minor changes. I wasn't thrilled with using a whole pear in the smoothie (it took up a lot of room in my blender) so I think I may just use half of one next time. I'm still not sure about using an avocado in my smoothies either. I really like to use milk to make a smoothie creamy since I have a hard time getting enough calcium and I don't know if I'd like the texture of the smoothie with the avocado in it.

If you try the recipe or use your own adaptation of it please let me know what you think!

The rest of this chilly day will be spent trying out a Jillian Michaels' DVD I received for Christmas before braving the cold to head to work and run errands.

Stay warm and cozy today!

No comments:

Post a Comment