Monday, January 20, 2014

Make It Monday: Round 2

Happy Monday everyone! Hope you're all relaxing and enjoying the long weekend.

Today's creation was inspired by, of course, Pinterest. I have so many recipes on there that I want to try I had a bit of a hard time choosing. However, a friend of mine made the request of more "whisking" for the blog so I wanted to make sure that was part of today's post. Here we go!

I chose a Blueberry Almond Flour Muffin recipe that I had pinned about a month ago. I've been playing around with the Paleo Diet lately and I thought this would be a nice go-to recipe on hand. Plus, I already had the almond flour and needed a recipe to help finish it off. 

This recipe comes from the blog Uncreatively Conscientious. I was very happy to see that most of the ingredients are basic pantry staples. It also included a recipe for both blueberry or strawberry muffins, which I thought was helpful as well. Here's the recipe I used:

Blueberry Almond Flour Muffins: From Uncreatively Conscientious

2 C          almond flour
3              eggs
1 1/2 Tbs  brown sugar
1/2 tsp      baking soda
1 Tbs        apple cider vinegar
dash        salt
1 tsp       vanilla
1/4 C      overripe banana, mushed (about half a medium banana)
2 Tbs      applesauce (unsweetened)
1 C         blueberries (fresh or frozen)

I didn't have any applesauce on hand so I substituted greek yogurt instead. 




It was so hard for me to wait for them to cool down. The kitchen smelled amazing and I was forcing myself to keep busy until they were just warm enough. The texture was perfect! They hadn't dried out while baking, which is something that I noticed happens when using almond meal/flour. The only change I might make to this recipe is to add some lemon zest. They just needed a little something more and I think that would really bring out the flavor of the blueberries. Although, I may just want to add lemon because that's what I grew up with. My mom makes incredible lemon blueberry muffins! They don't last long, because they're just too good not to inhale.


I couldn't wait to enjoy one with a mug of coffee! I kept the "berry" theme going and brewed a pot of La Crema Coffee Co.'s Blackberry coffee. It's absolutely delicious and just enough sweetness for me. Definitely was the best choice I made to start my day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment